Basically I have the best job. This session of Johns Hopkins' Center for Talented Youth (CTY) at St. Pauls school in Brooklandville, I worked with the Writing and Reading Workshop. Last year I did the same, though with a different teacher and a very different bunch of kids. Last year was 12 students going into 3rd-5th grades, a mix of boys and girls. This year was 5 girls, two of whom were sisters. Thank goodness they all got along really well. So, today being the last day, we took things easy. We visited the Inventions Convention and the Modern Fantasy class, made book covers for our final stories, learned about the parts of speech so we could make Mad Libs, and practiced reading for when the parents would arrive. They were terribly disappointed that we didn't have activity time today, but they soon got excited by the idea of giving a reading to their parents. While we waited for the parents, we wrote and then filled in some Mad Libs. Ms. Elissa gave them some titles to choose from to write their Mad Libs and we allowed them 5 blanks, no more than 6. Here is mine with the answers the kids filled in below and the answers my family filled in below that.
How to Drive a Spaceship
First you have to go to ___n.___ school for a long time. After you pass the test, they give you your very own spaceship. Get in the captain's ___n.___. The engines fire up when you ___v.___ the ___n.___. Blast off! Once you get through the ___pl. n.___ you are in space and all you have to do is turn the steering wheel to go see every ___adj.___ part of outer space.
ice cream, chalkboard, apologize, T-shirt, jelly beans, smelly
gopher, corn, throw, fence, bricks, smooth
And because (apparently) my main purpose in my family is to serve as entertainment, I made up another one just for them.
A(n) ___adj.___ Dream
Last night I dreamed that a ___adj.___ ___n.___ monster came in through my bedroom window. I was so ___emotion adj.___ that I jumped up. ___adv.___ I ran out of the room to find my mother. But because it was a dream, Mom was not in her ___n.___ — instead she was sleeping in the ___n.___! By the time I woke her up and we got to my room the ___1st n.___ was ___-ing v.___ in my sock drawer. Mom just ___-ed v.___ and left me all alone with it. ___adv.___ I woke up then!
cloudy, crenellated, basil, lazy, Quickly, flag, flowerpot, basil, singing, bopped, seriously
My favourite images: Apologizing to a shirt to get the engines going, a spaceship flying through jelly beans, a crenellated basil monster, and Mom sleeping in a flowerpot. And the irony of being so lazy that I jumped up is quite nice.
No comments:
Post a Comment