I just wanted to write a little introduction to this shiny new blog. I have begun it primarily because I wanted a way to let everyone back home know what sort of shenanigans I get up to while I'm studying in Cork, Ireland for the fall semester. Because I am a terrible pen pal and I can't hope to write to everyone regularly.
The other vague Idea behind this blog is a "writing blog." Perhaps I will post poems or stories or other works of art that are in progress and will get some useful feedback from you, dear Interneters. I can already foresee a problem with this; namely, I hate sharing my work until I think it is good. This can take a long time. But hopefully the "travel blog" will get me a little more used to sharing with the big, wide world. Plus, I have some poems that are already fairly polished that I am looking to publish, so feedback on those would be handy. And by publish I mean set the type, ink the press, turn the handle, fold the paper, and stitch together no more than 150 books. Ah, the joy of having a turn-of-the-century print shop at your college. (No, really, it is wicked awesome.)
~~
Currently I am packing (or rather, taking a break from packing) for the aforementioned Irish sojourn. I'm leaving August 19th. I keep vacillating between thinking I'll never be able to pack my life into one checked bag (no more than 15kg [33lb], 8euros per extra kg) and one carry-on (no more than 7kg [15lb]), and thinking that all this stuff spread across my floor should actually fit pretty well. I am also packing up my cousin's things as she got an apartment to accompany her new job, which means all the things she left in our room here in Baltimore need to be ready to go August 29th to Charlotte. A little ways away, yes, but we have to pack now so Mom doesn't accidentally send her anything of mine. Needless to say, it is a dusty disaster around here.
There's only a few things left to do for Ireland, but I feel a little overwhelmed, mostly because there were a lot of things I mean to do this summer that didn't happen, but also because I'm going TO ANOTHER COUNTRY for FOUR MONTHS. It is a long time, but undoubtedly will be a glorious time. And then I won't want to leave, etc., etc. One of the things left to do, though, is get a camera. But don't I already have one? Why, yes, yes I do. Unfortunately, my beloved K1000 Pentax 35mm film camera is heavy, Mom is unlikely to be willing to part with the macro lens, and honestly, I don't have the small fortune that would be necessary to buy the film and get it processed. I take a lot of pictures on trips. So I need something small/portable, high quality, not too expensive and preferably one that has a viewfinder rather than an LSD screen, though that's probably asking a lot. Suggestions?
If you would like a postcard, you should give me your school address (or whatever address you are using this fall). Not you, Washington College people, I know our school's address. Thanks all for reading, I will probably not post again until I arrive in the Emerald Isle, so until then, happy end of summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment