Saturday, August 13, 2011

To Begin a New Beginning

"Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect." –Alan Cohen

The conclusion of college and summer camp means the commencement of what is often referred to as "the real world." I don't see how the previous phases of my life have been un-real, but it is a good phrase to indicate that I will now look for a job that is full-time (or more than one that are part-time) and I will be paying bills that cannot be subsidized by the government or scholarships. A bit scary, and yet I mostly am feeling energized by the thought that I will be able to leave my job at the end of the work day, come home and write what I want to write and create art that I want to create. No assignments, no one to be responsible to but myself. And the day job will pay for the rent and the bills and the creativity will help me build a portfolio that might get me a) published b) a spot in a gallery and/or c) a free ride to a graduate programme in a few years. And, you know, the satisfaction of getting done things that I want to do.

To get this phase off to an interesting start, I am moving to Savannah, Georgia. Two of my very good friends from college are already there, holding down the fort in our beautiful, restored historic house (fifteen-foot ceilings! hardwood floors! claw-foot bathtub!). We are just within the bounds of Savannah's lovely historic district and we are only about a block from Forsyth Park, the largest of the many parks that are laid out grid-style at intersections downtown. There is Spanish moss hanging from the trees, there are marshlands and beach about thirty minutes from my new home. There are all kinds of old places to explore. There is an awesome art school with a highly recommended MA programme in Illustration. Basically, I think this will be a good move, albeit one that means I will probably not see snow until I move again. Which I expect will happen in a few years. The next ten years or so I hope will see me moving around quite a bit. There are a lot of places I would like to visit, at the very least! So here goes step one: the South.

I am super excited. Or I would be if I didn't hate packing so much. Almost done, though! Almost...

No comments:

Post a Comment