I know this poem has already appeared here, but it was in the context of my Sophie Kerr portfolio. This is one that I really like at the moment and I wanted to post it in its correct season. I always have a picture of the beech trees on my college campus in my head when I read this poem, with their huge roots and thick branches and the season far enough gone that all the leaves are golden-brown.
And if you don't know much about henna, it is a plant that is used to make dye for hair (ranging from browns to reds) and for those beautiful brown temporary tattoos (many Eastern religions use henna to elaborately tattoo their hands for marriage ceremonies). It looks like mud when you put it on and smells like rich earth and green things and dead flowers and when you use it as a hair dye, leaves your hair smelling delicious for days.
Henna
If you bury your face in my
hair,
freshly turned with the
leaves to flame,
I will feel your breath on
my neck
like the winds of the
season changing.
If you tell me I smell like
herbs and earth,
I will pull you down below
the air,
into the roots, where we
must breathe
with our skin and drink
with our toes.
No comments:
Post a Comment