Ah, the season for tragedy, indeed. Though we must wait until January for the latest film interpretation of Shakespeare, it is time now to re-read (or read for the first time) some Shakespearian tragedies and histories. In preparation for the upcoming film, I have undertaken the reading of Coriolanus, a history set in Rome, filled with betrayal, politics, and violence (according to the film's trailer, anyway). It seems likely that hubris will prove to be a major flaw for our titular character and one can only hope that it will all end in tragedy and death without redemption. Indeed, my thoughts as I watched the trailer before I remembered it was a Shakespeare play were something along the lines of, 'This is such a war movie for boys. But I bet the hero dies. Preferably still hated by his people, though mourned, of course, by his wife, who will now be an outcast. Man, I could definitely get behind this violence if there's a good tragic ending.' Like the 1995 interpretation of Richard III with Ian McKellen. Plus, it sounds like they are keeping true to the language of Shakespeare to a good extent. I only hope that they will see fit to keep the debate in the beginning between the angry citizens and Menenius Agrippa, representing the side of the politicians. Politics never change, only the people who are making the statements and a few of the details:
'Men. I tell you friends, most charitable care
Have the patricians of you.
...
For the dearth,
The gods, not the patricians, make it, and
Your knees to them, not arms, must help. Alack,
You are transported by calamity
Thither where more attends you, an you slander
The helms o' the state, who care for you like fathers,
When you curse them as enemies.
First Cit. Care for us! True, indeed! They ne'er cared for us yet: suffer us to famish, and their store-houses crammed with grain; make edicts for usury, to support usurers; repeal daily any wholesome act established against the rich, and provide more piercing statues daily, to chain up and restrain the poor. If the wars eat us not up, they will; and there's all the love they bear us.'
Menenius then provides a parable and dallies with giving good reply to their complaints. Eventually he gives his argument, still in parable form, with the government being the belly and the citizens all the parts of the body:
'Men. "Because I am the store-house and the shop
Of the whole body: but, if you do remember,
I send it through the cranks and offices of man,
The strongest nerves and small inferiour veins
From me receive that natural competency
Whereby they live: and though that all at one,
You, my good friends,"—this says the belly, mark me,—
First Cit. Ay, sir; well, well.
Men. "Though all at once cannot
See what I do deliver out to each,
Yet I can make my audit up, that all
From me do back receive the flour of all,
And leave me but the bran."'
If I may provide a retort for the citizens (for though they may be in the right, according to Shakespeare, they are nevertheless not very clever and are easily mislead by their leaders): Yes, yes, and you do seem to live very well off that bran, don't you? You must give us your recipes! For this flour you have given us does not seem to make bread nearly as well.
Of course today, we would never form angry mobs without much deliberation and well-thought out plans.
And naturally, our politicians are above the faults of those ancient Roman patricians.
As the Flight of the Conchords lyrics go: "What, what is wrong with the world today? You gotta think about it, think, think about it." And art of all kinds helps us to think about it. Perhaps this is getting a little too much into wintertime satire, but the election season already in full swing here in the States, so I daresay it is worth a mention. I just got my new Voter Registration Precinct Card in the mail from Chatham County, so I will be able to vote for mayor (or whatever it is you vote for in local elections in off years) come November without having to figure out all the absentee ballot nonsense I'd have to go through to still vote in Maryland. Let us hope that our own reality will not devolve into Shakespearean tragedy by this time next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment