Saturday, August 21, 2010

One Year Anniversary

One year ago today I first touched Irish soil (okay, tarmac) in Dublin then in Cork. I met Nora, visited Dunnes and the school and walked along the river. Tomorrow I met many of the friends with whom I still keep in touch and we got shown campus and town and had our first drinks in that place on the Mardyke. I can't remember if that's one of the nights we watched Dr. Who. It might've been. And two days from now we started our folklore class. It has been a long time – is a year a long time? – or at least it seems that way and yet my memories are pretty clear. And the wish to be going back there is stronger than ever. I am actually rather grateful I did not know any of the students going this semester as it means I will not be haunted on facebook with their pictures. So anyway, in honour of the anniversary, here is a more eloquent expression of my feelings rather than this rambling.

Still
there are days
when my heart
aches
aches
aches
for Ireland:

the Lee from mountain to city,
the bustling centre of Dublin,
the gardens of Blarney,
the bogs of Galty mountains,
the market, the park in Cork,
the pints of Bulmers.

The flat, gray waters of
Bantry bay,
Kildare’s harbour.
The smooth mirror of
Lakes of Killarney,
floodwaters on Western Rd.
The sparking waves on
beaches at Inís Oírr.
the rushing strength of
the Lee,
the Shannon,
the Boyne,
the Liffy.

The old stone churches,
the old stone castles,
the old stone towers,
the old stone walls,
the old stone tombs,
the old ogham stones:

my heart is
heavy
heavy
heavy
with the weight
of ghosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment